Thursday, November 27, 2008

Animation to Save The World

I gave a short speech on screening night. In it I summarised that my class have been given the tools, skills and education to animate. What will we do with these things?

A week later I found that I was questioning the personal morals of becoming a games animator when researching the current dominant themes of computer games. Unfortunately, games animation is the main employer of animators and I have bills to pay and food to buy.

But within the screening night speech I also spoke about our teacher Jane and in summary of her lessons I said something like, "Jane has taught us animation, not for personal gain, but for a greater good. She has sought to facilitate our learning so we can use animation to help save the world." Along those lines I found this clip and web site:



To be able to question, based on a shiny, new skills set, on which path to take the first few animation steps shows the value of the SBIT course.

2 comments:

The Loud One said...

Huh! I found you. :) And I'm glad I found you (r blog). This post is thought provoking and shoots straight across the line in which my thoughts have been taking lately.

My partner studies Environmental Sustainability at UQ and through him I am being exposed to media that reveals the truths about our current global crises I wasn't fully aware of. In a sense, until recently their has been no shock value in the phrase 'climate change'. I've heard it so much that when another 'crises' happens it's like blinking. You blink then it is over and you don't care about it.It's part of modern life. A constant of which we're conditioned as a whole to know of but ignore.

In a speech by Dr. Suzuki he says something along the lines of 'we have the knowledge and the science and we can stop this crises and turn the situation around.But the government/s are are not taking the initiative. They will not take action and everyday use the excuse pops up: 'we'll do it tomorrow'.

So what is needed now?

Romantics. Creativity that inspires courage and a positive global will to -do something NOW!- to take action!

The generation before us did not know the severity of our global condition, the generation after us are either children or yet to be born. It is our time to take action because NO ONE ELSE CAN. We have the opportunity to be what everyone dreams of as a child. We can save the world. We can be heroes.

As animators -as artists- we need to stop saying 'what can we do?' and start doing. Creating. Inspiring. Loving. Teaching. Motivating.

We need to be Heroes, for tomorrows heroes.


...john Lennon reincarnated maybe?

Anyway, hope you get this. :) I'm going to poke around your blog a bit more.

Frank said...

Hi Sarah

Yup you found me, the me I was in the past, and yes I'm a tree hugging hippy animator out to save the world.

It's great to read your comments.